Guidelines to follow when buying Yoshon products
If you are looking to buy products that could possibly contain chodosh, consult the lists below for terms listed on the ingredient panel that can pose problems.
What Possible Chodosh Ingredients to Look For:
If you are looking to buy products that could possibly contain Chodosh, consult the list below for any terms listed on the ingredient panel that can pose problems. They are all derived from the Five Grains- Wheat, Barley, Spelt, Rye or Oats. If an ingredient is in the list below, consult our site to make sure your item is yoshon. Stock up on items containing these ingredients, or check our main site.
All-Purpose Flour; Ancient Grains; Barley; Barley Flour; Barley Malt; Bleached Flour; Bran; Bran Flour; Bread Crumbs; Bread Flour; Bromated Flour; Bulgur; Bulgur Wheat; Cake Flour; Cake Meal; Couscous; Cracked Wheat; Cracker Meal; Durim; Durim Flour; Durim Wheat; Enriched Flour; Farina; Flour; Glucose Syrup; Gluten; Gluten Flour; Graham; Graham Cracker; Graham Flour; Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein; Kamut; Kamut Flour; Kamut Wheat; Khorasan Wheat; Khorasan Flour; Malt; Malted Barley; Malt Flavoring; Maltodextrin; Malt Vinegar; Oat Bran; Oat Flour; Oatmeal; Oats; Orzo; Pearled Barley; Pearled Wheat; Phosphated Flour; Rolled Oats; Rye; Rye Bran; Rye Flour; Seitan; Self-Rising Flour; Semolina; Spelt; Spelt Bran; Spelt Flour; Spelt Germ; Sprouted Grain; Steel-Cut Oats; Tabouleh; Triticale; Unbleached Flour; Vegetable Protein; Vegetable Starch; Vital Gluten; Wheat; Wheat Berries; Wheat Bran; Wheat Flour; Wheat Germ; Wheat Gluten, Wheat Starch; White Flour; Whole Grains; Whole Wheat; Whole Wheat Flour.
Note: (If you see a product or ingredient we've missed, please let us know about it Info@YoshonNetwork.org)
Scary-Sounding Ingredients That Are Not Chodosh:
None of these are made from the Five Grains. If your product contains them, you don't need to worry about it!
Audolized Yeast; Buckwheat or "Kasha" (not a true wheat); Food Starch Modified Food Starch; Torula Yeast.
Items That Are Yoshon:
None of these are made from the Five Grains. If your product contains them, don't worry about it!
- Pure Winter Wheat, and (US) Domestic Rye and Spelt (check for other ingredients).
- Products that are made in Israel with reliable kosher certification.
- Products marked "Yoshon" or "Kemach Yashan" (in Hebrew or English) with reliable kosher certification.
- Most Gefilte Fish; Most Matzo Meal (except "Kerry" brand); Most Matzah. Check to make sure in our listings, as some manufacturers may be adding chodosh spring wheat with the recent winter wheat crisis. Check that they say "Yoshon" on the package.
- Meal Mart frozen products and airline meals.
- All Kemach Flours. This even includes the malt.
- Gold Medal All Purpose Flour from the "KC" plant ONLY (see code on bags). It is made with Winter Wheat. For those who are strict on Malt, please see the date listing for Gold Medal Flour by going to Yoshon.com's search for Yoshon Gold Medal
- Note: Gluten-Free products are not necessarily Chodosh-Free! Oats don't normally have gluten, but are the first crop to become chodosh! Only items made without the 5 grains (including malt) are not problematic.
Products to Stock Up On or Check in The Guide:
Baby Foods; Bagels; Bagel Chips; Barley Water Drinks; Beer; Blintzes; Bread; Bread Crumbs; Buns; Burritos & Wraps; Cakes; Cereals; Chocolate Malt Syrup; Cholent Mixes; Chow Mein Noodles; Cookies; Cornflake Crumbs (can contain malt); Couscous; Crackers; Crepes; Crisped Rice Cereals (usually contain malt); Croutons; Doughnuts; Egg Rolls; Egg Roll Wrappers; Flour; Flour Tortillas; Frozen Doughs and Crusts; Granola Bars; Hors D'euvres; Knishes; Malted Milk Balls; Malted Milk Shakes; Multi-Grain Breads; Multi-Grain Cereals; Noodles, Oat Flour; Oatmeal; Oatmeal Cookies; Orzo; Pancakes; Pasta; Pastries; Pearled Barley; Prepared Soups (canned, cartons or frozen); Pies; Pita Bread; Pita Chips, Pizza; Pretzels; Rice Mixes; Rolled Oats; Rye (imported), Soup Mixes; Spelt (imported); Stuffing Mixes; Vegan Products (most contain wheat gluten); Vital Waffles, Wheat Berries; Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour; Whole Wheat Flour; Won Ton Wrappers.
Items with Possible Added Chodosh Ingredients:
Alcoholic Beverages; Breaded Foods; Chocolates; Condiments; Corn Flake Cereals; Corn Flake Crumbs; Dry Powdered Mustard; Dry-Roasted Nuts & Seeds; Flour; Gravy & Gravy Mixes; Kosher Vitamin Supplements; Ice Creams; Imitation Crab; Licorice; Liquors; Prepared Soups (canned or frozen); Pudding & Pie Fillings; Puffed Rice Cereals; Rotisserie Seasoning Blends; Salad Dressings; Sauces; Sausages; Seasoned Chips & Snacks; Soup & Dip Mixes; Soup Cubes; Spice Blends.
Products from Imported Crops (Except Israel):
Rye Bagels; Rye Bagel Chips; Rye Bread; Rye Buns; Rye Crackers; Frozen Rye Bread Doughs; Rye Pretzels, Spelt Flake Cereal; Spelt Bread; Spelt Crackers; Spelt Flour; Spelt Matzos.